Sunday, October 30, 2005

a swing and a hit

today was my first go at eucharistic ministering at st. thomas more. i found myself oddly nervous. i was thinking that because i'd done it like a bazillion times at my old church, i'd feel like an old hat. but i really was afraid i'd make a mistake. probably i was intimidated because i was worried that everyone in the church would be looking at me like, hey, who's the new EM?

but anyways, it went off without a hitch. i really enjoyed it. what i liked most which i don't remember thinking about before, was that i got to really connect with about 1/2 the people in the church. i looked them in the eye and then, as i placed the eucharist in their hands, i generally touched their hand (or their tongue for the one lady! oops!). it just felt like i was bringing the community closer to me and i really liked that feeling.

i'm up at bat again at 8:00 AM this tuesday, as it's all saint's day (a holy day of obligation, if you pay attention to that stuff).

2 comments:

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

Waldie: Glad you've joined the EM team. I have also really enjoyed the chances I've had to serve as an EM, being able to give people the greatest gift that Jesus left for us to give to others (I think that's theologically correct...)
My first time as EM, my first communicant was my dear husband. Talk about an emotional experience. Was your dearest one of the folks whom you were able to serve?

Waldie said...

no, he was in the other line. but i'm sure i'll have more opportunities at a later date.