Monday, April 14, 2008

cell phone advice?

so i think the time has come for us to get a "real" cell phone. i know, i know. we've tried to fight the system for so long and have managed relatively successfully. a few years ago chris's parents gave us a pay-as-you-go cell phone to use in case of emergencies or for when we're traveling. other than work phones that i've been contractually obligated to use, we've managed to keep the personal use of cell phones to a minimum.

but now, all of a sudden, i've found myself married to "that cell phone guy." he's always on it! all right, all right, it's mostly because of his job*, but still, that thing rings constantly. and over the past few months we've been spending astronomical fees because we've been going over our meager 200 alloted minutes a month.

which brings me to this post. i'm now in the market for a no-frills cell phone plan that will give us like 400 or 500 minutes a month with as minimal cost as possible. we don't need texting, we don't need internet, no bells or whistles. just talk. for cheap. preferably. and if they threw in a free phone for signing up, that'd be great too!

i'd take any suggestions if anyone has any. for those local to the area, anyone have good experience with suncom? it seems like they have the most cost-friendly plans, but i want to make sure i'm not limiting ourselves with crappy service.

*ironic that chris uses the cell phone the most for his job which is really not a job exactly. it's an internship. and he doesn't make any money to work there. yet they call his cell phone like nobody's business. i'm not blaming them, but it just ruffles my feathers a little bit.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I used Suncom for a few years when I lived in Greenville. I had it very cheap because my dad basically just added a line to his plan, and I paid him each month for it. I think his plan was around $30, but I'm not sure how many minutes he had. My dad is thrifty and does lots of research for stuff like this to get the best deal - I'm pretty sure he still uses Suncom.

As far as service, I don't remember much trouble. I had the occasional dropped call and certain areas had bad reception, but not a deal breaker. I would recommend them, and I do think they're the cheapest in the area.

Dogwood Dell said...

I use Verizon. Mostly because I have family members on the plan (free mobile mintues) and they offer free phones for a 2 year plan.

No real trouble with the cell phone and good coverage, especially when traveling down the interstate.

Visit the website: Verisonwireless.com for more info and what minutes/plan that's best for y'all.

I beleive we have around a few hundred minutes but I hardly use that much unless I'll calling for work on my mobile.

Best of luck!

Christian Alberto Ledesma said...

Hey K!!! Found you through Paul. I would like to point you to this article I posted: http://bapcog.blogspot.com/2008/03/psa-cellphones-may-be-more-dangerous.html

Dangerous!!!! Heck, as a teacher, I'm on the phone every night with parents. But reading stuff like that worries me.

Use a headset!