Tuesday, October 11, 2011

History of Maryknoll, A Good Hike, and Other Stuff

Chris wrote a great post about the history of Maryknolls. Pop over to his blog if you've not read it.

I also thought I would post a picture of our Regional Coordinator, who we have mentioned on several previous occasions.

Chris, Joanne and Me at Bethany
Our first meeting with someone who will soon play a very significant role in our lives!

Also, in the spirit of being behind on blog posts, I think I should mention that in our free time we've been having some nice outings around the area that we're living. A week ago Saturday, 6 of us hiked Bear Mountain. This had special significance to me because I used to hike up this mountain every Fall when I was in Newman Club at NYU. It's been at least 11 years since I took my last hike here, so it brought back all kinds of good memories*. I wonder if they still do this as an event.

Hiking up the rocks
The ascent we took was quite steep.

Resting for a minute
Here we are resting a minute from the climb.

Near the top of Bear Mountain
The views were spectacular, though the leaves weren't really changing yet. It's amazing what difference a week can make! I bet it'd be all colors this weekend.

When we got to the bottom of the mountain the park was having an Oktoberfest festival. What better way to celebrate a good hike then with a cold beer! We contemplating getting a stein, but decided none of us needed to spend that much money on beer**!

Refreshing after a few hours' hike!
Do we look happy or what!?

This past Sunday we took another smaller hike along the Hudson, but I don't have those pictures uploaded yet, so I guess I'll save that for a future post.

*Some of which include Fr. Greg almost tumbling down the mountain, praying at the summit, and sliding down the wet rocks on my butt!

**If I remember correctly, it was $23 for the stein and $9 for refills of beer. Compared to the standard $5 a pint, it seemed a little extreme.

No comments: