Thursday, March 12, 2009

a happy reunion

on wednesday of this week my favorite somali family welcomed a new addition to their household. well, not so much a new addition, as a new welcome of an old member. for the past four years the mother (hamido), has lived in the u.s. as a single mother, raising her three children, while her husband (ali) remained in kenya. but on wednesday of this week the family welcomed their father to america. it's been a mixture of strange emotions for baldman and me. we are very protective of this family and we wondered how the presence of a man would change the family. but we were immediately pleasantly surprised by how nice he is and what a natural fit he is with his family. everyone seems to have picked up where they left off. so we are so happy for them and their reunion.

when i went over to the house tonight for my regular weekly visit, hamido asked me if i would like a skirt from africa. i immediately said "YES!" and she proceeded to take out a bunch of newly hand-made outfits that ali had brought over from kenya. apparently, she told him about my, described my size and asked him to pick something up for me in thanks for all i have done for them over the past 3+ years. so i graciously accepted a black and white patterned skirt. it was so hard to choose because everything was so beautiful! but i am so proud of my skirt, i wish i could wear it to work tomorrow! when i was wearing my skirt tonight i asked them if it made me african and they said, YES! so sweet!

No comments: