Friday, April 26, 2013

A Decade


Our wedding April 2003

10 years ago today Chris and I were married in a small mission chapel in a town on the coast of New Jersey. When we created the ceremony one of the songs we chose was kind of an odd choice for a wedding. While most people choose songs for their weddings that are about love, devotion to each other or togetherness, Chris and I chose “Pescador de Hombres” or “Lord, You Have Come,” which talks about following God to far away places in search of the lost. I have always loved this song and we both felt like it had a certain message for us both as individuals and as a couple. Now 10 years later, this song has even more meaning for our lives than it ever has.  

Lord, you have come to the seashore,
neither searching for the rich nor the wise,
desiring only that I should follow.

Refrain
O, Lord, with your eyes set upon me,
gently smiling, you have spoken my name;
all I longed for I have found by the water,
at your side, I will seek other shores.

Lord, see my goods, my possessions;
in my boat you find no power, no wealth.
Will you accept, then, my nets and labor?

Lord, take my hands and direct them.
Help me spend myself in seeking the lost,
returning love for the love you gave me.

Lord, as I drift on the waters,
be the resting place of my restless heart,
my life's companion, my friend and refuge.

As a couple, we are not only following and finding refuge in God but we are also supporting each other on this journey. There have been times over the past 10 years when one of us has had to figuratively take the hands of the other and direct them, to reminded the other of the larger picture or to help them to remember who they are at the core. We have had to be the resting place, companion and refuge for each other when one of us has become the lost.

Thank you, Chris (aka Scoobs, Scoobie, Squnch, Squeebs, Bud, Buddy, DB, Dude, Duder), for being my partner, my companion, my guide, my best friend, my client, my patron, my teacher, my student and so many more for over the past 10 years. I love you.

No comments: