Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Trip Home?

On Friday Chris and I will be headed out of Tanzania for a 5 week trip back to the US. Barring any unforeseen circumstances or freakish weather, we plan to spend at least 2 nights in the following states: NY, NJ, PA, NC, GA, SC and MS. It's going to be whirlwind of a trip, but we are so excited and feel so fortunate to be able to see as many people and visit as many places as we are planning.

The past few days have been busy with packing, planning with family and friends, readying things for the house and the pets here in Mwanza and taking care of everything that needs to be done for our work ministries, which we'll be leaving behind for other people to take care of. But in the back of my mind I keep finding myself a little bit worried about leaving and not quite as excited as I would've thought. I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm SUPER excited. I'm mostly excited to see people and catch up on the lives of friends and family. And I'm looking forward to the materials things I've missed. Let's be honest, that means mostly food! But at the same time I'm not, like, DYING to go home. I'm not homesick or thinking, "If I don't get out of here, I'm going to go crazy." I've even found myself thinking about how much work goes into leaving and making sure everything's taken care of, then flying halfway around the world and how tired and sick we are when we arrive and a little thought creeps into my head. Is it even worth it?

I know. I know. That's crazy. Of course it's worth it! I don't really mean that. But I keep having these thoughts floating through my head until it finally hit me the other day. I've adjusted so much to my new home that I don't feel like life here is that unusual anymore. I still have days when I get frustrated or haven't a clue what's happening. But all-in-all, I'm really comfortable living here in TZ and I, gulp, like it. I still miss things from the US, most especially family and friends. (And some foods.) But I've adjusted and it's not as hard as it used to be. I feel at home here.

I guess this is the beginning of feeling like I have a home in 2 places. And I won't ever feel completely comfortable in one place or the other. I am leaving home to go home.

No comments: