Sunday, October 08, 2006

blustery weekend

new fridge

Ok, so it isn’t really "blustery," exactly. But for South Carolina, it's turned chilly! And for now I'm loving it. Though we've already realized that our apartment is going to be freezing this winter because it does not keep the heat.

Saturday Chris and I got up at the crack of dawn (ok, at the crack of 9 AM) and went for a bike ride. It’s a good thing we did it then because it ended up raining the rest of the weekend. But while we were out the sky was gorgeous and we really had a good time. We’re still trying to pick out names for our new bikes. I’m leaning toward Roger for mine and Chris is leaning toward Apple Scruffs (don’t ask). But we’ll let you all know when the important decision has been definitely made.

We spent the rest of Saturday waiting around for the landlord to come by with our new fridge. We were supposed to get it last weekend but that never happened and we had been expectantly waiting ever since. Then last night we went to 2 (that’s right TWO) parties in one evening. One was a work function for Chris. It was held at the Keenan House, which was beautiful but really chilly. We followed that party up with a trip to northeast Columbia to a housewarming for a co-worker and friend of mine.

Today was the usual weekend stuff-laundry, grocery shopping (a big one since we’ve not gone in 2 weeks!) and cooking. I love the smell of cooking in the house on a cold, rainy day. I made pasta fagioli and cornbread. It was awesome!

1 comment:

Baldman76 said...

From Wikipedia:

The Apple scruffs were a loosely-knit group of hardcore Beatles fans who were known for congregating outside the Apple Corps building and at the gates of the Abbey Road Studios in London during the waning days of Beatlemania in hopes of seeing or interacting with the band members.
The Beatles themselves had an ambivalent but often friendly relationship with these fans; two Apple scruffs were actually recruited to sing on a Beatles song ("Across the Universe"). Following the breakup of the Beatles, George Harrison wrote a song entitled "Apple Scruffs" which appeared on his solo album All Things Must Pass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_scruffs

Lyrics:

Now I've watched you sitting there
Seen the passers-by all stare
Like you have no place to go
But theres so much they dont know about apple scruffs

Youve been stood around for years
Seen my smiles and touched my tears
How its been a long, long time
And how youve been on my mind, my apple scruffs

Apple scruffs, apple scruffs
How I love you, how I love you

In the fog and in the rain
Through the pleasures and the pain
On the step outside you stand
With your flowers in your hand, my apple scruffs

While the years they come and go
Now, your love must surely show me
That beyond all time and space
Were together face to face, my apple scruffs

Apple scruffs, apple scruffs
How I love you, how I love you