Sunday, February 11, 2007

a counting

yesterday i did our taxes. it's the second or third year that i've done them. this time i'm really proud because i think there are no mistakes. of course, i thought that last year and they were sent back like 2 times. but this time, i'm even more certain. it brings some kind of arcane satisfaction to know that i can do our taxes. it's like i've mastered one part of my life where you usually have to hire an expert.

tomorrow i have to bring our car into the shop because it broke down on my way home from work yesterday. perhaps my next realm of self-sufficiency should be car mechanics.

2 comments:

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

Funny parallels:

I did our taxes Saturday evening. I glommed onto Turbotax a few years back--they ask the questions in a sensible order and keep track of what I've entered in case I want to take a break. I used to do the taxes by hand, but got tired of trying to figure out all the tables.

We'll be the couple who, when faced with an audit, discuss how much help we can get "from the box" since we don't have "people" to call.

Speaking of having people, I took the car to the shop Thursday afternoon to get the noise fixed (for noise, substitute brakes.) I went to the same shop my Dad did, the same place that still works on my Mom's car. When the mechanic can call you by your first name and tell you that your Mom has arrived to pick you up, I think that's a good relationship to have.

It's nice to be self-sufficient; it's also nice to have people.

Waldie said...

yes, actually, i think we have the same mechanic. and i have to say they're really great guys. so i'm okay with those "people" being my go-to people for cars.