Monday, June 15, 2009

meatless meatloaf recipe

last week when i was camping with my parents my mom brought along the silver palate's thick and rough cut oatmeal to have for breakfast. i noticed this recipe on the inside of the box. it looked good so i decided to try it for dinner tonight and was pleased. the only meatless meatloaf that i've made is with fake crumble, which i'm trying to get away from. my only complaint had to do with my cooking, which was that i didn't cook the soybeans enough so they didn't adequately mash. but otherwise, the flavor was fantastic!

meatless meatloaf

sauce:
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
1 tbs. oil
8 oz can tomato sauce

saute onion and pepper in oil until lightly browned. add tomato sauce and bring to a boil. boil for 2-3 minutes. set aside.

meatloaf:
1 c. soybeans, cooked
1 c. oatmeal
1/2 c. walnuts or pecans, ground
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/4 c. onion, chopped
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
1/2 c. ketchup
1 (4 oz.) can mushrooms, drained (i skipped this)
1/2 tsp. basil
1 tsp oregano

mash soybeans with fork. add oatmeal, nuts and eggs and mix well. blend mixture with remaining ingredients. place mixture in a greased 9x5x3 loaf pan. top with tomato sauce. bake at 350 for 50 minutes.

makes 6 servings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and it was very good. I skipped the mushrooms completely but followed the rest of the recipe exactly. I'm happy to add this to my usual rotation. It's a really good meat free alternative to traditional meat loaf.