This past weekend I made my first attempt at making cheese. I say "attempt" because that's what it was. And it was unsuccessful.
I bought fresh milk from a lady down the street. She only sells it in the early morning and evening, right after she's milked the cows. I brought water bottles down to her and she filled them right up with warm milk!
I was so excited! Look how prepared I was. I sterilized and laid out everything we'd need to make mozzarella.
Caitlin came over to help. We carefully measured everything and put the milk into a warm water bath to slowly raise its temperature.
Unfortunately, the curds never formed! We tried to raise the temperature more, let it sit more. But still, the mixture was as watery as milk. No curds. So after a while we just gave up. Still not sure what happened. It could be that the milk is not good for cheese-making. Or it could be that the citric acid we used wasn't straight citric acid; it had some other things in it. Or it could be the water.
Next time I try it I'm going to use real citric acid and bottled water. I don't think I can do much about the milk because milk is milk here. There's only one kind (outside of powdered and boxed milk). So if that doesn't work, then I might need to change to sheep's milk.
Another project I've been working on for months is my curtain making. I finally was able to finish them up this past Sunday.
The trundle machine was actually really easy to use and I enjoyed it. Thanks to Joanne, my Regional Coordinator, for helping me out through the whole process!
Chris was pleased with the finished product.