Monday, June 25, 2012

Medical Update and Some Other Random Things

I went back to the doctor today and got 1/2 of a clean bill of health. The pesky amoeba has been successfully evicted (good riddance) but the UTI is hanging on. I've already been treated for it twice, so I have to get a urine scan to find out which drug to use going forward. This required me to go to 2 doctors today in 2 separate clinics. The 2nd doctor told me I could avoid future UTIs if I cleaned my hands with hand sanitizer once inside the bathroom but prior to "going" because I could pick it up on the door handle going in. I'm not really sure how transmission in that manner could be possible, especially if I'm using toilet paper. But, yeah, okay. Either way, we will continue to work on getting me totally clean, but I'm at least happy the amoeba is done with.

I've spent many years over the course of my life thinking about what life in Africa would be like. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd be on my way home from work and enjoying a double rock block of Milli Vanilli and TLC on the radio. That happened today. Good times.

If you've ever had a conversation with an employee about days off, paychecks, and any other manner of employment issues, you know how touchy those topics can be. Imagine doing that in another language. I just did that tonight with our guard. I was trying to convey to him that we will be out of town in a few weeks and wanted to check if he could work every night that week. I also was trying to work out payment with him because he will get paid at the end of the month. I hope we understood each other! God bless the Tanzanian people who have to put up with my butchering of their language every day.

2 comments:

Carolyn Trumble said...

Glad one part of being ill is over. I totally understand butchering the language. Oh my Portuguese is struggling. Right now I just throw words out there and hope they stick.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the amoeba has left the building, Katie. I've been so worried about you. So now do I have to tell you not to bite your nails? Seriously, hope you don't have to go through that again. You sound much happier, and I'm glad -- driving in the car and listening to music is good. Sorry about the UTI, though. Wonder what that's about? The right drug should knock it out pretty quickly. Anyway, keep feeling better.
Love you lots,
Ma