Sunday, September 04, 2011

Arizona, Days 1 and 2

We're not even 1/2 way through out Arizona trip and it's been jam-packed so far! We're visiting my dad and stepmom and they always make sure to show us a great time! My sister was also out here for the first day and a half that we were here. But she had to head home yesterday morning. And, unfortunately Chris and I left our camera in the car in Mississippi, so I've had to take most of my pictures on my Blackberry phone. I'll have more photos later once I get the pictures that my dad has taken with his camera.

On the first day we visited the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. Man, what an awesome museum! We spent 7 hours walking around, listening to music and playing on instruments from around the world. It was such a well organized and beautiful museum. You just walk from station to station listening to music and instruments from around the world.

The Africa section of the MIM
Chris spent a lot of time in the Africa section, as to be expected.

And, the food they had in their cafe was AMAZING! I said jokingly that Chris's head was going to explode because of all the awesome world music, but my head was going to explode from the delicious food! Organic. Local ingredients. Healthy. Fresh. My belly AND my ears were happy.

Lunch at the MIM
Sandwich with local cucumbers, squash, kale, goat cheese, and a spread of pesto. Homemade potato chips. Locally made birch beer.

Yesterday we took a day trip to THE GRAND CANYON! LOVE IT! I've seen it a couple of times, but Chris had never been there. So I was really happy to be able to share this place with him.

Grand Canyon

We ate lunch and then took a short hike down a portion of the Bright Angel Trail.

On the Bright Angel Trail

Dad and Holly on the Bright Angel Trail

I'd really like to hike to the bottom and back at some point in my life. But it's pretty amazing how tired I got even from just the small bit of hiking we did! We were all pretty exhausted last night.

Me and Holly on the Bright Angel Trail

A View from the Trail

One of the highlights of the day was spotting some elk eating by the road out of the park.

I look forward to figuring out what more is in store for us for the remainder of the visit!

No comments: